Someone Who Cares
Have you ever had a teacher influence your life in ways words can't really explain?  Someone who cared about you enough to reach out and make sure you were successful?  Well I have been blessed with many loving, intelligent teachers in my life.  They can often teach and help you find that sunlight shining through when you feel like you are drowning and about to give in.  I actually had a dream about a year ago about what my life would have been like if this particular teacher wasn't a part of it.  If I chose to never play the violin and if my step-mom didn't choose to adopt me as one of her own.  Let's just say how grateful I am I didn't have to live that life.  It was lonely and much harder then the one I will share with you today.



I want to talk about my orchestra teacher.  He also happen to be my Great-Uncle and my private violin teacher.  Not only has he blessed me, but thousands of other people.  He has blessed countless people with his own music as concert chair of the Idaho Falls Symphony Orchestra, and his dedication to teaching in the Madison School District over the past 43 years.  We close his chapter as a teacher this week as he retires.  I just wanted to write about how learning the violin and being a part of his orchestra has blessed me and countless others in the world.  His choice to teach with dedication and passion as he lead by example created ripples that will never end.


How it Started
I was 8 years old when he brought his son Brad Hansen​​ to my 4th grade assembly to play the violin for us and invite us to be in his orchestra.  Let me back up just a little.  Before this he had a very small part in my life as my Great-Uncle.  He did stand in my blessing circle as a baby and knew my Dad really well as they grew up only a few years apart in the same town.  My Mom had just past away of cancer not too long before and my Dad remarried a really good women.  I got a new family, home, school, community and life very quickly.  To tell you the truth I wasn't adjusting well.  It was a really hard thing for an 8 year old to take in.  I was having behavior issues in class and the pictures of me at that age I look very sad.  I lacked a sense of belonging, focus and drive.  With Brad a few years older then me being one of the coolest guys I knew, and my cousin, my mind was made up.  I really wanted to play the violin beautifully like they did!  My parents supported my decision and borrowed a violin from a friend.  I started private lessons that year.  My first violin teacher was my neighbor Elisa.  She was one of Rick's High School students at that time.  If I recall correctly she was his 1st chair.  She taught me violin but she also taught me how violin principles relate to overcoming hard things in life, and how to find joy in this difficult instrument.  Over the summer Rick and his amazingly musical family invited me to Suzuki Summer Camp.  This is where the serious violinist go to play for hours and hours a day increasing their skills astronomically in just the short time of a week.  It was a bit of a challenge but with Rick, Cheryl, Bryant and Becca (their children) supporting me I stuck to it!  This picture is Rick in one of his first years of teaching.  I have some great adolescent awkward pictures of him and I but I will spare you those. :)


Being Great at Something Brings Confidence and Belonging
When I started orchestra in middle school some were just learning how to hold there instrument while I could play quite well for a beginner.  I really enjoyed that class and felt confident, successful, and that I belonged.  I was a really good student and had a fun productive school year.  It helped give me relief and a way to meditate and escape my crazy life.  It helped me enjoy life more.  I also made many friendships throughout my 11 years of orchestra.  My parents continued my private violin lessons all throughout my schooling.  I wasn't allowed to do anything until I had practiced 30 minutes a day.  I have learned that is the only way to play well enough people want to hear you.

Lots of Quality Time
Rick was my orchestra teacher when I moved into 8th grade through my Senior year.  That is 8 full years of him every day as my teacher.  I think I got more of him then anyone but his wife and kids.  To start I would see him every day in class.  I made it up to 2nd stand which made me proud.  It also made me close enough for spiting distance. :) j.k.  Then I would have private lessons with him after school Friday's.  His kids were star sports players so I would see him at the school games those nights.  Last my Grandma would invite us up to her house for a cookout on the following Saturdays and Sundays.  Her brother Rick and her have always had a great friendship so we would see each other there too.  We both didn't mind however.  I have always managed to get away with calling him Rick and staying on his good side.  I even got the ultimate compliment when he signed my senior yearbook that he was proud to be my relative. :)



Great Teachers Go Above and Beyond
Rick is the kind of person and teacher that would complain the violin my Dad got at a garage sale was a piece of junk, so true.  He would then brag about me in front of the class how well I made it play.  He was also the kind of person that would pull a case out of his closet and give it to me when mine was ugly beyond all reason.  He encouraged me to save my money.  With my parents permission and support I used some money I inherited from my Grandpa, the greatest portion money I had earned, and some from my parents to bring together $2000 to purchase my violin, bow, and case.  I recently decided she needed a name.  Her name is Felicity.  I am 31 years old now so it's been 13 years since I have been his student.  Doesn't really matter the years, just matters if you really love it and want to keep that talent up enough to keep blessing yourself and others with it.


While he didn't make a profit, he took time out of his day, set up his living room full of at least 10 different violins in there cases and helped me choose the violin and bow that fit me and my playing the best.  This is still a treasure to me and hangs on my living room wall so that it reminds me that is is a part of me and that I need to pull it down and play it!

To Keep a Talent You Must Use It!
I do play for my kids and neighbors often.  They love fiddle songs.  I have a cute home video here from a couple years ago.



I also have played beautiful solos for thousands of people all over the West in our church meetings.   I have played as a Christmas caroler to a lonely old man, for nursing homes, and for my grandmothers.  They all start crying and appreciate it so much.  Before my Great-Grandma died she would attend every concert Rick was performing in and conducting.  She still loved my private performances although I was never as good as the Hansen's and would tell how it reminded her of her husband and start crying happy tears.  My friends Amber and I played for the former President of BYU-Idaho at his welcome party when he stepped into his new leadership position.  President Clark personally thanked us for the beautiful sounds that helped him feel so welcome in Rexburg.  I have played at weddings as the bride walks down the isle.  I had the honor of having Rick and Becca play at my wedding since I got fake nails and couldn't myself. The violin has a way of touching people in ways words can't.  Each time I prepare a piece and perform it seems almost everyone in the meeting finds the time to thank me individually for touching them and sharing my talent.  The last time I played with Rick was last year at my Grandpa's funeral.  Cheryl created a beautiful arrangement and we did a duet with my Dad and his brothers singing.  I was proud to surprise him I could bring it to the table after all these years. :)  None of this would have been possible without him and his great selfless choices.

Cut the Crap, Do It Because You Love It!
Rick is someone who wears his mood on his sleeve.  He was a really great orchestra teacher because he wasn't afraid to tell you when you sounded like crap!  Haha I don't ever recall him using that word but the message was clear.  He would never sugar coat bad playing.  He also wouldn't hesitate to tell us how amazing we were and when we sounded beautiful!  His most common quote I remember was, "If you guess, you will be wrong!"  There really isn't a need in the world for scratchy out of tune playing so he dedicated his life to create beautiful music and refined people.  He would remind us often of his frequent job offers in other states wanting to pay him much more money.  With an eye roll and a smile we would all appreciate him a little more every time that happened and he continually chose to stay with us.  I think having his wonderful parents in town made a difference too.  His Dad, my Great-Grandpa Hansen was a band teacher.  He played the violin well but not at a professional level.  He played with his heart and loved it so much.  I have hear memories that Rick and his siblings would fall asleep to their Father playing the violin each night.  What an impact he had on his children because of his love for music.



Great Teachers Have and Teach Character
Everyone knew when Rick was in a really good mood or a really bad one.  Rumors would spread through the school to warn the approaching class what to expect to stay on his good side. :)  One really funny comment I remember was he had started leading the music but some cheerleaders were still talking and didn't join in.  He stopped everyone and said, "Excuse me! I must have forgot the magic words, READY, OKAY!"  Then everyone burst out laughing and this next time the cheerleaders joined in.  He is a real character.  Took us to Salt Lake to perform for Christmas every year in high school for the weekend on Temple Square.  Then every other year took the High School orchestra to Disneyland to perform for the passing guests, record in a professional studio, and attend a big performance.   When he was out of town with the High School or sick that day we would get to watch classic movies many parents don't show their kids anymore.  They would be musicals like "South Pacific" or "Oklahoma".  He cared about the people we became and wanted us to be well rounded.  He used strings and music to help us grow and mature.


My junior year of high school my parents and I requested to take private lessons from him.  He helped me prepare my talent for Jr. Miss and while I didn't win, it was really close and we blew everyone away with how great it went. ;)

I will always remember the day I brought him 1 year of private lessons money in cash.  Why you might ask would paying for my lesson be so memorable?  Because he threw it in the air.....all the bills!  He said, "I have always wanted to do that!" Haha, it was hilarious!  Then we played in the money for a few minuets before we cleaned it up and started our lesson.  I think he was a little distracted that day holding all that cash as he watched and listened me play. :)


Great Teachers Care More About the Student than the Money
The next year my parents decided the money for lessons needed to go to one of my younger siblings and I wasn't going to be a professional violinist so it was time to be done.  Rick told me that I had too much talent to stop now.  He offered that if I would stay dedicated to practicing every day at least 30 minuets that he would teach me for free.  He did, and I did.  I am forever grateful.  If you were one of the less favored kids in his class, I'm sorry.  It really did take a lot of sacrifice on my part to do what he asked and work really hard to be in the front and one his favorites. Anyone in his orchestra did know he played favorites, but he also found worth and gave love to every student. :)

Great Teachers Are Great People
Rick is not only a great teacher and violinist he is a really good man.  He has always been active in our religion and served a volunteer two year mission as a young man going door to door to teach about our Savior.  He and his wife raised strong, smart, Christian children.  There boys all served faithful missions and they were all married in God's Holy Temple.  Now they teach their children of there love for music and the Lord.  Those mission farewells were quite the experience with the Hansen family.  Everyone at the meetings will agree.  They always have been willing to share their talents for free as they were asked.  They also choose to volunteer to share God's love and Holy Spirit.  They children are now successful parents, teachers, and doctors or form of a doctor like a P.A. :)  They all have great musical talents they learned from there both their parents.  I was blessed to take private lessons from his daughter Richelle for a time and his oldest son Dallin after high school.  I remember those summer lessons.  Dallin taught me that the true progress begins after the first 2 hours of practicing to warm up.  I agree, if you can ever make it past the 2 hour mark, that's where the magic is. :) Dallin taught a class while I was a freshman and I was in his orchestra with one of my Madison girl friends.  Now he is a full-time Orchestra Professor at Byu-Idaho with his Doctorate. His brother Doug was never my teacher or school buddy but he is also an awesome orchestra teacher at Madison and has been teaching the 5-7th grade preparing them for his Dad.  He gets is one of the few that can carry on his Dad's legacy well.  He is going to be amazing!  While each kid makes there own choices and parents don't chose for them, it is wonderful when you see magic like this family.

Great Teachers Fight to Create a Legacy
Rick was such an inspiring and great teacher his students would overflow the classroom every class, every year.  It got to the point where kids were out in the hall.  I have had to sit in the back before and it really is a punishment.  You have to look over your music to see the conductor and stay with everyone then you can't pay attention to your music.  So having a proper set up where everyone could be united is key in a great performance and for the student's self confidence and enjoyment in the class.  He fought many years for a new high school that would have an orchestra room big enough for his students and a performing hall they could often show off their hard work.  I am happy to say after I graduated he did get that.  Here is the proof.


Here is the Rexburg Journal article celebrating his teaching and sharing the alumni concert and his gifts at his last concert.

So to conclude this post today.  If you are a teacher, be passionate about what it is you want your students to learn.  Believe in them and help them become good people with a love for life and learning.  If you have a teacher that has blessed you like this, reach out and find them and let them know how they have influenced them.  Believe me, it will mean the world to them.  Thank you Rick for your great example, love, dedication and influence. You are a Great Teacher!  God Bless you in your journey through retirement!  I'm sure you will find a way to give of your love in service in new and creative ways throughout your travels and adventures!

With Love, Heidi Evalyn Denney Kowallis

Post a Comment

 
Top