NHS guidelines advise that men eat 2,500 calories a day and women 2,000 to stay a healthy weight.
In addition to fruit, veg, starchy carbohydrates, milk, dairy, meat and fish, the “eat well” plate suggests cakes, chocolate, fizzy drinks and foods high in sugar can be eaten in moderation.
But, now, after decades of research, cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra says calorie counting should be ditched for ever.
Happy heart ... doctors recommend an olive-oil based Med diet
Happy heart ... doctors recommend an olive-oil based Med diet Getty Images
He believes that in order to live longer, stay healthier and lose weight — one of the major risk factors for heart disease — we should stop counting calories and adopt a Mediterranean diet.
He says: “Not all calories are equal. We should be focusing on what’s in the food nutritionally rather than how many calories are in it.
“Studies have shown that, in the long term, people who count calories end up gaining rather than losing weight.”
Low-cal feast ... pizza, salmon, cereal bars and smoothies keep daily calorie count down
Low-cal feast ... pizza, salmon, cereal bars and smoothies keep daily calorie count down
Half an average sized avocado contains 140 calories, the same amount as a can of cola but while one is packed with healthy fats and 20 vitamins and minerals, the other isn’t.
“There’s solid evidence that one can of cola a day is associated with significantly increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes,” says Dr Malhotra.
“While four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day will reduce the risk of strokes, heart attacks and coronary heart disease, which is the number one killer in the UK.”
Up to 80 per cent of the 74,000 deaths annually from coronary heart disease are believed to be avoidable.
Having spent ten years unblocking arteries and fitting stents caused by bad diets, Dr Malhotra is tired of excuses patients make about changing their eating habits for the better. He says: “People tell me a Mediterranean diet is too expensive to follow. It’s not. Four tablespoons of the finest, most expensive olive oil will cost you 30p a day. A Mars bar costs about 50p.
“I see a lot of patients with warning signs that they could develop heart disease.
“I tell them that daily doses of olive oil and a handful of nuts will do more for their health and heart than anything I could prescribe.
“The mountains of evidence speaks for itself. A recent study found that, just months after adopting a Mediterranean diet, participants reduced their risk of heart attacks by 30 per cent.”
Mediterrean treats ... nuts, salads and cheese
Mediterrean treats ... nuts, salads and cheese
Dr Malhotra does caution against the wrong kind of Mediterranean diet though. He believes the concept has been misconstrued in the UK.
He says: “A true Mediterranean diet doesn’t mean lots of pasta and rice. It means plenty of fish, roasted veg, salad, good fats from soft cheeses, and eggs.”
Nutritionist Kim Pearson also advises her clients to steer away from counting calories and says a Mediterranean diet has plenty of health benefits.
“Mediterranean diets use herbs, lemon, salt and pepper and sauces freshly made from natural ingredients to flavour meals, not the highly processed jars and packets we tend to use.
“They favour natural, local produce, unlike much of our ‘fresh’ food which has been shipped from other countries and has subsequently lost nutrients in transit.
“There is a general trend towards regular but moderate consumption of wine, rather than the binge-drinking culture we seem to have in the UK.”
To put Dr Malhotra’s claims to the test, we asked two size-16 Sun readers to help. Kim Sheard, 36, an office consultant from Willesden, North London, has spent the past two weeks counting calories, trying her best to stick to 1,500 a day.
Meanwhile, office manager Georgie Cave, 36, from Tooting in South London, has adopted a Mediterranean diet.
And the results are shocking . . .


‘I found myself snacking a lot on cucumber’

Low-cal test ... Kim Sheard says she can't stick to 1,500 calories a day
Low-cal test ... Kim Sheard says she can't stick to 1,500 calories a day Olivia West
KIM SHEARD says:
“I’ve not counted calories before, so it seemed daunting.
“I downloaded an app that counts calories for you but it doesn’t really allow freestyle cooking.
“I made a few Jamie Oliver meals, as they have the cooked-calorie content in them, but after a while it seemed easier to get ready-made meals.
“My flatmate decided to count calories with me, which made things easier. It was hard going out for something to eat as not a lot of restaurants have calorie counts on their menus.
“I found myself weighing up priorities a lot, so if I wanted a chai latte from Starbucks, I’d only be able to have a plain jacket potato for dinner. If I was hungry mid-afternoon and had a cereal bar, I had to sacrifice a proper dinner for a small portion of something.
“Long term, I’d never be able to stick to 1,500 calories a day. I consume a lot of calories without realising.
“I’m a real-juice drinker and while that can be good, it’s a lot of calories so I had to ditch that. I mostly drank water the whole two weeks.
“I found myself snacking a lot on cucumber because it’s so low in calories – only 16 per 100g.
“I kept my breakfast the same because I know that’s pretty healthy.
“I’m delighted I’ve lost 5lb. I’m going to try to keep it off and will definitely pay more attention to calories.
“I’ll introduce a cheat day every now and then and won’t stick to just 1,500 calories as it’s too low.”


Kim’s stats

Height: 5ft 10in
Weight before: 15st
Weight after: 14st 9lb
Dress size: 14, was 16
BMI: 29.4 overweight, was 30.1 obese.


Diet before

Breakfast: Cereal, blueberries and almond milk (140 calories)
Lunch: Ham, mustard and cucumber sandwich on gluten-free thins (280 cals)
Dinner: Quinoa “risotto” (558 calories)
Drinks: Skinny chai latte (256 calories), glass of freshly squeezed orange juice (200 calories), 2 glasses of pomegranate and blueberry juice (122 calories)
Snack: Nature’s Path Dark Choc Chip Granola Bar (140 calories), Walkers Crinkle Cut Baked Crisps (170 calories)
TOTAL: 1,866 calories


Diet after

Breakfast: Cereal, blueberries and almond milk (140 calories)
Lunch: Marks & Spencer hot smoked salmon and potato salad (270 calories)
Dinner: Asda Free From Pizza (834 calories)
Drinks: Starbucks skinny chai tea latte (204 calories), 7 Up (160 calories)
Snack: Cereal bar (221 calories)
TOTAL: 1,625 calories


Calorie control results

— Lost 5lb
— Higher blood pressure
— Spent more


‘I was amazed at how good I felt on diet’

In the pink ... Georgie loves the Med diet
In the pink ... Georgie loves the Med diet Olivia West
GEORGIE CAVE says:
“I love Mediterranean food. If it’s ever on a menu, I order it. I also love tapas but don’t always make it at home.
“It’s easy to put Western foods into your shopping trolley when it’s what you’re used to.
“Not paying attention to calories or fats and instead focusing on food groups has been liberating. I was amazed at how good I’ve felt on the diet.
“My skin is clearer, I’ve felt more energetic, I’ve been able to concentrate better at work and I’ve been sleeping better.
“I will definitely keep it going. After getting used to it, it became easier than my regular diet.
“It’s also been a lot easier in the kitchen. Normally it takes me a while to make dinner but as it focuses on fresh ingredients, minimal preparation and maximum flavours, everything comes together much faster than a labour-intensive, non-Mediterranean meal. I love fish too, so it’s been brilliant getting more of that.
“At the start of the two weeks I put ingredients in my office drawer, including pumpkin seeds, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, capers and lemon juice.
“It’s just been a case of quickly putting some salad together in the morning with fish and then dressing it at work.
“It’s been easy to get into the swing of it.
“I put my boyfriend, Tom, on the diet with me and he’s lost 1lb more than me.”


Georgie’s stats

Height: 5ft 7in
Weight before: 13st 8lb
Weight after: 13st 2lb
Dress size: 14, was 16
BMI: 29.8 overweight, was 30.6 obese


Diet before

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs on white toast (260 calories)
Lunch: Noodle soup, bread roll and crisps (450 calories)
Dinner: Jacket potato with baked beans or a prawn stir fry with a shop-bought sauce (400-600 calories)
Drinks: Orange juice (200 calories)
Snack: Dark chocolate bar (200 calories)
TOTAL: 1,700 calories


Diet after

Breakfast: Strawberries and raspberries, low-fat Greek yogurt and handful of nuts (150 calories)
Lunch: Avocado, black olives and a Greek salad cheese (480 calories)
Supper: Grilled fish with capers and oil with courgette, grilled aubergine, brown rice and sweet potato (600 calories)
Snacks: Olives (115 calories) and almonds (329 calories)
TOTAL: 1,674 calories


Med diet results

— Lost 6lb
— Lower blood pressure
— Spent less

‘Med’s best’

Low-cal v high-fat ... Kim Sheard and Georgie Cave try out diets
Low-cal v high-fat ... Kim Sheard and Georgie Cave try out diets Olivia West
SUN nutritionist AMANDA URSELL says: “Different diets work for different people — some prefer strict calorie counting and being able to work in ‘treats’, others prefer meal replacements.
“But studies show people following the Mediterranean style of eating fare well in the weight-loss stakes. This is often because the food is great-tasting and colourful, uplifting mood-wise, and naturally helps to give a steady supply of energy, which all helps to control appetite and hunger.
“The fact it doesn’t require you to live on low-fat ‘diet’ food can help psychologically.
“From a nutritional perspective, the Mediterranean style of eating usually helps to push people’s overall intake of vitamins, minerals, super nutrients, good fats and fibre in the right direction — while shifting saturated and trans fats, and free sugars, in the other.
“Ultimately, people have to find the weight-loss diet that works for them.
“But a Mediterranean version is tasty, sustainable and good for our overall health.”

Post a Comment

 
Top