A MUM and dad returned home after their son died in hospital to find a heartbreaking note he had written on the living room table.
Little Leland Shoemake fell ill with a rare brain infection a month ago and was admitted to hospital two weeks ago.
Sadly, he passed away at the end of last week.
Mum Amber and dad Tim stayed at his bedside throughout sat with him as he slipped away.
Leland Shoemake
Leland in hospital Facebook
When they returned home at the weekend to collect clothes for him to be buried in they discovered the six-year-old had written a note before going into hospital and left it on the living room table.
It read: “Still with you. Thank you mom & dad.”
Leland Shoemake
Leland in happier times Facebook
He also drew a red heart with the words ‘mom, dad’ and ‘love’ inside it.
Amber, from Georgia, posted to her Facebook page in a heartfelt message that read: “'When Tim and I came home for the first time to get him clothes to be buried in, this is the note we found from him on the table in the living room.
'We have no idea when he wrote it but you can tell he was always a special child.
'We will love you forever Leland. Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!'
Leland Shoemake
Leland getting a hug from his little brother in hospital GoFundMe
The brain infection Leland contracted is called balamuthia mandrillaris, which Amber believes may have been contracted from playing outside.
She added in her post: “'The one thing he loved most was playing in the dirt.
"I never imagined that would be the thing that would take him from me.
Prayers-for-Leland
The moving Facebook post
"He was my world. He made me a mother. We struggled so hard to have him. He was a preemie baby but came out screaming and healthy."
The grieving mom added: "No one should ever have to bury a child. I always said I hope it's me that goes first (because) I don't think I'm strong enough to handle something like this.
"It still doesn't seem real to me.”
Amber and Dan set up a Go Fund Me page to help pay for the costs of the funeral, which took place on Monday.

Post a Comment

 
Top